Sunday, March 21, 2010

Zucchini Cakes

Zucchini Cakes(Sorry for anybody expecting a gooey chocolate zucchini cake. I have a recipe for that too (not Game-on Friendly). These are fried like crab cakes. My boys would never guess that they were veggies.)

2-3 zucchini, grated
1 egg *
2 Tbsp milk
1/2 cup-3/4 cup fat-free or lowfat cheese (I have used cheddar and mozzarella, but I'm sure others would work great too.)
1 cup whole grain bread crumbs **
3 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper
olive/vegetable oil for frying

Squeeze extra juice out of zucchini between a dish cloth/paper towel. Mix ingredients together, and shape into small patties. I like to put patties in the freezer for a few minutes so they stay together better. Heat oil in non stick pan and cook patties until cooked through and golden on both sides. Serve warm with lemon wedges.

*I have never tried it, but I'm sure you could add a couple egg-whites with the egg for extra protein.
**If you can't find whole grain bread crumbs-- crush whole grain crackers, or toast WW bread and make your own crumbs. These are excellent with saltine crackers (not Game-On friendly.)

No comments:

Post a Comment